Pear Crumble Recipe
For this New Englander, welcoming the Fall season means vibrant colored leaves, football, crochet, pumpkin spice everything and … pears. Yes, pears! Apple picking would normally have been on the list, but our Spring frost and dry Summer has left the Northeast with slim pickings.
It should also be noted, for the 6th year in a row, the EWG has ranked apples high on their Dirty Dozen™ list, so unless you buy organic, the most coveted Fall fruit also has the highest loads of pesticide traces.
Pears make an excellent replacement in your favorite Fall recipes, like this gluten-free and dairy-free pear crumble, enjoy!
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup real organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 cups chopped pears (this was about pears)
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (about 1/4″ in size)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons real organic maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and get out an 8″x8″ pan.
- Mix the maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Peel the pears, if desired, and core and cut into 1/4″ pieces. Place the pears in the maple syrup mixture and stir until the pears are well coated in the mixture. Place in the ungreased pan.
- Mix all the topping ingredients and drop walnut-sized pieces of topping over the pears. Only about half of the pears will be covered.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the topping is brown and crisp and the pears are bubbling. The topping will crisp up much slower than a traditional crisp, but don’t worry as it will crisp up towards the very end of the baking time. Cover the crisp with foil if the topping starts to brown too early.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve!
By Katie Gillis
Katie Gillis is the Digital Marketing Manager at Emerson Ecologics, focused on delivering practitioners information and inspiration via our online platforms including websites and social media channels.